Friday, December 12, 2008

A bit of shameless self-promotion, or...

...I sold a story! Yippee!

I don't want to be uncool about this, but it seems to have been so long!! - well, to be fair, I haven't been sending off much in the last eighteen months but still, lovely to sell just before Christmas. And even nicer to sell to the lovely Jill Finlay at The Weekly News.

A while ago, in a discussion on writerly etiquette, someone more experienced than me said they didn't thank editors for buying their stuff, as it was a 'professional transaction'. Or words to that effect. With this in mind - and I can't quite bring myself not to say thanks at all - I limited myself to a very prim 'Thanks very much' when what I wanted to say was: 'Yay, you're such a sweetheart!' Or something like that. Still, don't want to scare her off, do I, so probably best I didn't.

9 comments:

Casdok said...

Well done! Congratulations!

Glad you contained yourself!!

Karen said...

That's brilliant news, well done!

And I must say that when I sold a story to Take a Break a couple of months ago (my second) I DID email the editor back on impulse to say, 'Yay, that's made my day!' !! I went on to sell another one, so it can't have done any harm :o)

Kath McGurl said...

Hurray, well done!

Interesting question re thanking the editor. Norah at TAB usually emails acceptance and asks for confirmation she can buy the story, which is an opportunity to gush and bow down and lick her feet, etc. But for a mag which accepts by letter it's harder to thank them.

Hmm, might raise this question over at my blog and see what others do.

ANyway, it's brilliant news, so well done again!

Pat Posner said...

Brilliant news, Honeysuckle.

Jen said...

Wow, that's great, well done you!

I'll be in the overflowing effervescent camp, sending bouquets and promising my firstborn to any editor willing to swap my words for hard cash.

I am most impressed that you did 'cool' on the outside. You are proper grown up :0)

Well done again. I'm so proud of you!!!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Well done, how wonderful.

I recently sold a piece (my first) and did email a thank you to them. Mind you I was so grateful to them.

Honeysuckle said...

Many thanks, everyone! I think I might allow a shade more enthusiasm to seep out next time. Assuming there's a next time... Difficult to get it quite right - either stand-offish or gushing, that's me.

Penny A said...

Great! Well done... always nice at Christmas or any time come to that!

Honeysuckle said...

Thanks, Penny. I do love to sell a Christmas story. (Am I managing to make it sound like it happens regularly?)