Saturday, June 28, 2008

I got tagged!!

I got tagged by Maddie! OK...

What were you doing 10 years ago?
I was working weekends in the library, doing other odd hours in other jobs here and there when I could around school hours and Barney's shifts, not yet writing to any great extent and doing the full-on parenting thing with children of 8 and 4 years old.

Five things on your to-do list for today:
It was my birthday during the week so we're planning a day out - local house and garden, meal out early evening, etc. But erm, well, I'll also clean out the guinea pigs and I've just written a thank you letter. What could number five be...? Four's enough for a weekend day surely? Or maybe I'll have time to write to the taxman about a small refund I suspect they owe me.

What are three of your bad habits?
Moderate, inelegant swearing.
Watching Big Brother (definitely qualifies as a bad habit)
Jumping to terrible conclusions when anything just mildly dodgy happens.

What would you do if you were a billionaire?
I really don't want to be a billionaire, so I'd give away all except £500,000, probably to the hospice movement as it's a national scandal that hospices don't get funding directly from government.
I've also always fancied setting up a little music promotion operation - the kind of thing where you arrange for acts to appear in back street pubs and little places - low key. Could I do that with £500,000?
And I'd like to visit a few places - maybe starting with Copenhagen and Barcelona.

What are some snacks you enjoy?
Cashews
Raisins
Lemon curd sandwiches

What were the last five books you read?
Two tractors
Shopaholic ties the knot
Getting the buggers to behave
Teaching today: a practical guide (in progress)
Wannabe a writer? (just started - a birthday present)

What are five jobs you have had?
Editor (yes! and they paid me! and I loved it!)
Writer
Librarian
National Travel office assistant
Census enumerator

Five places that you have lived?
Leeds
Heckmondwike
Pontefract
Bangor
Halifax

Thanks, Maddie! Not sure anyone reads this who I could tag, so maybe I'll leave that bit till later...but just as a general question - who would you choose to play you in a film of your life? I'm nabbing Diane Keaton.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, Happy Belated Birthday!

I love reading these memes... was just about to tag you myself for this one but you beat me to it.

Love your last question... I think I'd quite like to have, um, Judi Dench. We'd probably have to put her on ice until I'm old enough to have actually achieved anything of course but she probably wouldn't mind. She seems a good egg.

Jill Steeples said...

I love reading these. You find things out about people, you never knew!

I didn't have you down as a swearer. Me too. The kids are always telling me off!

You've lived in some solid sounding places!

Lemon curd sandwiches? People keep giving me jars of lemon curd and I've not known what to do with it.

Jill Steeples said...

Meant to add, I'd have to go for Susan Sarandon. She has the whole package, I think.

Honeysuckle said...

Spiral Skies - many thanks for the birthday wishes! Judi Dench - she's great, isn't she?

Maddie - Lemon curd is lovely in butterfly buns instead of cream. Susan Sarandon - yes, I can see that. She has that air of calm you always exhude.

Pat Posner said...

Hi, Honeysuckle
I was interested to see the places you've lived. Do you still live in Halifax? If so that's only a few miles away from me in Tod.

Pat

Honeysuckle said...

Hi Pat,

Yes I'm still in Halifax - I once applied for a job in Tod. One of the first pubs we went to when we moved over here was The Staff of Life (on Burnley Road?) - at that time there was a fish restaurant upstairs and the bar walls were covered in bedpans!

Is there a writing group over there?

Pat Posner said...

LOL, Honeysuckle, I went to the Staff of Life once, a few years ago, but I couldn't have seen the bedpans - one doesn't forget things like that. Hope you used it in a story?

I don't know of a group here, though there's probably one in Hebden Bridge. I do meet up with two or three localish writers about twice a year. One is Shirley Worral, you've probably seen her name in the mags, though she's concentrating more on her books now I think. They're crime novels under her Shirley Wells name and they're great. Set locally, too. We'll probably have a get-together around September - shall I give you a yell, it's usually on a Saturday in a pub. Or if you're my way any time perhaps we could meet for a natter?

Honeysuckle said...

That would be great, Pat - will look forward to it.

Kath McGurl said...

I'm with you on the hospice thing. they do a superb job, and it is appalling that they have to rely on donations and fund-raising.