Sunday, August 31, 2008

A cunning plan

Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea to start decorating the living room three days before I started a new job, but it was probably the totally correct feeling that if I didn't start at that point then I probably wouldn't start at all until I retire in a few years' time. So now, two weeks later, we have one and a half stripped walls, one newly painted section of ceiling and a bit of plaster patching completed on the windowsill. Everything else still awaiting attention: very many small items dumped in boxes and carriers, very many shelves upturned along corridor, table dumped in hallway, settees covered in loose bubble wrap (nearest thing to hand at the time). I'm not a tidy or a speedy worker. And the chimney breast turns out to be damp - huge surprise there, as you can imagine. As this means that the wallpaper strips off with very little help from me I'm taking it as a positive.

Have been advised to sell the house with outline planning permission for conversion into two dwellings - one ground floor, one first floor - which would allow a builder to totally block off the staircase area, which is the most badly affected by damp. This should cover all the angles - we could sell without feeling we were foisting a dodgy house onto some unsuspecting innocent, and both we and the buyer/developer might possibly get a reasonable deal. It might work!

Whoops, don't go getting optimistic - you know what happens when you get optimistic...

8 comments:

Pat Posner said...

Well, I just hope you aren't thinking of moving out of the area - unless it's to somewhere nearer to me!
Our house has a few chimney breasts like that! Why is it the damp is also greasy?
Looking forward to Friday!

Honeysuckle said...

Hi Pat. We haven't even looked yet, and I'm almost certain there's very little we can actually afford, but this house is quite big and expensive to keep in a habitable condition so, with Barney retiring, move we must. But no, we shan't be going far!
10.30 Friday? I'll be there!

Casdok said...

A very cunning plan!!

Pat Posner said...

Ooh, there's a few houses round here that might suit (grin).

Yes, 10-30am at main door of Indoor Market. Er which one of us is wearing a pink carnation??

Honeysuckle said...

Casdok - thanks, yes, I'm kind of pleased with it...much as I love the house myself, I think it probably needs the attention of a developer of some kind when we try to sell. Assuming anyone at all would be daft enough (like we were!) to take it on.

Pat - 10.30 - indoor market. Pink carnation? Hmmm, will have to see what I can do...

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

R and I decided that we would work on our house for two years, enjoy it for two years and then decide if we wanted to sell it. Five years on and we've only just finished the work and are too exhausted to even contemplate moving anywhere else for a bit.

Hope your plan works for you.

Leigh Forbes said...

Got ours at a knock-down price because it was in such a grotty state. Been here seven years, and still pouring money into it, but it's nearly looking good. Couldn't face moving and having to do it all again!

Honeysuckle said...

Hi Debs - I think old houses are always a work in progress. But yes, we had those kind of plans except that in our case it's now 20years later. Having said that, I've loved living in a house that's a bit different and there's lots of space so swings and roundabouts...

Hi Leigh - We got ours cheap too. We've got rid of most of the wildlife now - the mice and the woodworm etc - and water no longer courses down the inner walls when it rains, but still a long way to go. If yours is looking good, I'd be tempted to stay put and enjoy it for a while.