Saturday, August 16, 2008

Cobwebs, jobs and hot chocolate

Now that I'm a fully fledged, bona fide teacher I've had to get a job, so I start Monday teaching basic skills to young people who've offended. I suspect this might not be a terrifically easy gaffe - it won't be all sweetness and charm (on their part anyway, I'm sweetness personnified...) or even the benign stoicism you often get with adult groups - but it's similar to what I did on part of my teaching practice and I'm looking forward to it in a 'what was I thinking of - I can't do this!' kind of way.

The school holidays rumble on with Sweetie Pie rising at noon most days and then, if she has sufficient energy, arranging to meet a friend for hot chocolate in town towards the end of the afternoon. Meanwhile, I'm doing a little painting in my last remnants of spare time, disturbing cobwebs that would be awarded squatters' rights if they lingered any longer on the picture rail and bravely dealing with spiders who think it's already September. We've put so many outside these last few days I'm hoping they don't have a homing instinct.

See ya when I'm not only fully fledged, but practising too...

8 comments:

Casdok said...

Good luck with the new job. Sounds challenging!

Jill Steeples said...

Good luck with the new job, Honeysuckle!

Honeysuckle said...

Thanks, Casdok and Maddie!

Karen said...

Ooh, good luck with your new job - sounds challenging :o)

Daughters are very good at being lazy aren't they? Mine rarely rises before noon at the moment, and even then only to trip to the kitchen for refreshments!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Congratulations on being fully-fledged and best of luck with the new job too.

Honeysuckle said...

Thanks very much, Karen - yes, daughters, what are they like? Mine had a minor strop yesterday because the satellite dish got knocked out in the storm and apparently it's essential for the summer holidays...sad, really.

Hello Debs! Thanks, the job's proving challenging, frustrating and lots of other things at present. Certainly won't be a dull moment.

Amanda said...

Good luck with your new job, Honeysuckle.

Honeysuckle said...

Thanks Annie! It's...er...'interesting' is the word, I think!