Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm writing! Or am I?

Why do fictional characters taken on a life of their own? How do they do it? They're make-believe, right? They shouldn't be able to do that. When writers say stuff about characters deciding on their own lines and adding levels to their own personalities, I tend to huff and puff about affectation and literary arty-fartiness.
But I've just had a germ of an idea - this in itself is a rarity. Well, more than a germ; I knew exactly what I was going to write. And it's taken on a life of its own. The minor supporting strand has become the main feature. The main plot's been shelved for another day and, even at that point, maybe some other idea will barge it out of the way? (Given that the main idea heavily featured grumpy dustbinmen, maybe that's not too bad a thing?)
It's a bit like automatic writing, aided by some long-gone spirit of a writing antecedent. Well, bring it on!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, isn't it fabulous when that happens? I do think the trick is to totally go with the moment and write whatever wants to be written in such instances.

Woo hoo!

Penny A said...

I never let on that this happened, too, just in case anyone thought I was being more bonkers than usual. But yes, it does. Usually at times most inconvenient for housework, or whatever. I usually end up making frantic sticky notes and plastering the fridge with them for later.... got to keep sane somehow!!

Jill Steeples said...

I love it when this happens instead of sitting in front of a blank screen trying to force the words out.

Is it a short or something longer? I hope the words continue to tumble out.

Honeysuckle said...

Hi there Ms Spiral - I'm all for going with the moment. Especially if the moment, for once, is giving me something to write about...

Penny - sticky notes - aren't they wonderful? It's a toss-up which I love best between sticky notes and see through plastic files. Box files are good too. I really should work in Staples.

Hi Maddie - it's a play!! Not my thing at all...

Unknown said...

Grumpy dustbinmen? You have to give them a story!

Isn't it brilliant when the characters take over the story, though. I love that. Saves a lot of hard work. :o)

Pat Posner said...

It's great when that happens. The downside for me is it usually happens in the early hours when it's still dark and I have to scribble stuff down without turning on the light.

Ooh, you're writing a play! Sounds fun.

Honeysuckle said...

Hi there, Shirley. I love characters like grumpy dustbinmen - you can do so much with them. I have a mad librarian I'm going to resurrect at some point too.

Pat - yes, the middle of the night thing - it's a pain isn't it?!